Results and Accomplishments
Middle School Results
The current 9th grade cohort entered 6th grade reading, on average, two grade levels below grade level. After three years of middle school at WHEELS, they read, on average, on grade level. In other words, students made, on average, five years of growth in three years of school.
High School Results
Principal: Brett Kimmel
Model: Expeditionary Learning, Outward Bound
Number of Students: 521
- 97% Hispanic, 2% African American, 1% other
- 56% male, 44% female
- 100% poverty rate/free reduce price lunch
- 21% English Language Learners
- 19% Sudents with Disabilities
- 94% of the students in our founding class are on track to graduate in 2012 (compared to citywide graduation rate of 64%)
Average years of Teacher Experience: 7 years
Teach Retention: 86%
- selection as an Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound National Site-Seminar in 2008-2009 and 2010-2011;
- selection as an Expeditionary Learning Outward Bound Exemplary/Demonstration School Site 2009-2010 and 2010-2011;
- selection as an InsideSchools.org Blue Ribbon Award winner 2007-present;
- selection as a Young Audiences New York Partner School of the Year 2006-2007;
- Gaynor McCown Excellence in Teaching Award winners were WHEELS staff members in 2007, 2008, 2009;
- Fund for Teachers programs were funded for WHEELS teachers in 2008, 2009 and 2010;
- Cahn Fellowship for Distinguished New York City Principals, Teachers College, Columbia University, awarded to Brett Kimmel in 2010.
- WHEELS is one of the highest rated schools on the NYC Department of Education's 2008-2009 Learning Environment Surveys and ranks in the top third of all schools based on its most recent Progress Report.