WHEELS was founded by a team of staff, parents, and students in 2006. It is a nationally recognized, NYCDOE neighborhood elementary, middle and high school.
Some of our school’s awards/accomplishments are:
• Since 2012, 78 percent of WHEELS graduates have enrolled in college, which is a substantial 22 percent higher than the NYC average.
• WHEELS was featured in Paul Tough’s most recent book, Helping Children Succeed: What Works and Why. You can read The Atlantic Article here.
• President Obama highlighted a WHEELS student’s hard work and academic success, as well as his skilled and dedicated teachers, in the 2014 State of the Union Address.
• College acceptances among WHEELS students include a diverse set of over 60 institutions including Dartmouth College, Cornell University, Hamilton College, Skidmore College, University of Virginia, New York University, and Fordham University.
• Three WHEELS staff are National Board Certified and more are working towards it currently.
• Take a closer look at our data here.